Ugoos AM8 Plus is a true 8K TV box based on Amlogic S928X-J penta-core Cortex-A76/A55 processor with Dolby Vision and Dolby Audio support that should be available in the next few weeks or months.
If you search for an 8K TV box online, you will find plenty of listings of 4K TV boxes that are not capable of 8K video output, but Ugoo’s AM8 Plus will be a true 8K TV box that is in capable of both video playback and output up to 8Kp60 thanks to the Amlogic S928X processor, which we previously found advertised in IPTV/OTT devices for operators from SDMC and SEI Robotics, as well as recently in an 8K TV box card.
Ugoos AM8 Plus (preliminary) specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S928X-J
- CPU – Penta-core processor with 1x Cortex-A76 core, 4x Cortex-A55 cores
- GPU – Arm Mali-G57 MC2 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.2 and OpenCL 2.0
- 8Kp60 H.265, AV1, VP9, AVS3/AVS2 10-bit video decoder; 4Kp60 H.264 decoder, 1080p60 MPEG-4, WMV/VC-1, AVS, MPEG-2, MPEG-1 decoder
- Low latency 4Kp60 H.265/H.264 encoder
- AI accelerator – Up to 3.2 TOPS Neural Network Accelerator (NNA) with Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) architecture, supports TensorFlow and Caffe
- The suffix “-J” should stand for Dolby licenses
- Manufacturing process – 12nm
- System memory – 4 GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32 GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot
- Video output – HDMI 2.1 up to 8Kp60 with HDR support, HDMI CEC
- Audio – Optical S/PDIF, AUX-IN port, digital audio output via HDMI
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
- Dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2×2 MIMO WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.3 with LE support; two external high-gain antennas
- USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports, 1x USB 2.0 OTG Type-C port
- Miscellaneous – Power button and LED; stitch space and recovery needle holes; RTC with backup battery; IR receiver
- Power supply – 12V DC/1.67A via USB Type-C port
- Dimensions – 116 x 116 x 28 mm (metal case)
- Weight – 300 grams
- Temperature Range – Operation: 0 to 60°C; storage; -10 to 60°C
- Humidity – 5% to 90% non-condensing
- Certifications – CE, FCC
The TV box comes with a Bluetooth LE remote control (UR01-BLE model), an HDMI cable, a 12V power supply and USB-C cable as well as a short user manual. The odd thing is that we’re told the Ugoos AM8 Plus is running Android 11, while previous announcements about the Amlogic S928X all reported Android 13 support instead, so I think that might be a bug.
Regardless, the Android OS comes with Google Play support, OTA firmware updates, and Ugoos-specific features such as a SAMBA server, NFS and CIFS clients, superuser switch (Magik) to enable/disable root access, a remote server to to use your phone as a remote control and various other adaptations.
Ugoos AM8 Plus is an update to the Amlogic S922X-J powered Ugoos AM6 Plus introduced in 2020. We are told that the AM8 Plus model based on the penta core (1x Cortex-A76 + 4x Cortex-A55) delivers a higher Antutu score compared to the AM6 Plus TV box with hexa-core (4x Cortex-A73 + 2x Cortex-A53) SoC with about 210K points against about 130K points, which seems a bit strange, especially with the big difference (were different versions of Antutu used?).
Nevertheless, the new model still brings new possibilities with 8Kp60 video playback and output, support for the new AV1 codec, WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5.3 instead of WiFi 5 + Bluetooth 5.0 and more USB 3.0 ports. The old AV jack seems to be gone forever.
There is no pricing information for Ugoo’s AM8 Plus at this time, but for reference, the AM6 Plus is going for $147 on Aliexpress, so the new model should be a bit more than that. More details can be found on the official Ugoos website as well as on Ugoos.co.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor before quitting his job as a software engineering manager and starting writing daily news and reviews full-time later in 2011.
#Ugoos #AM8 #true #box #powered #Amlogic #S928XJ #processor #CNX #Software